Thursday, September 28, 2006

an ode to menthol cigarettes

i use at least twice as much rice as real food...especially if the real food is spicy. it's not that i don't like it- just that my mouth is a little wimpy sometimes. today i saw one of the past loves of my life's mother and we were talking to each other like we wished we could be in on some secret together. i found myself wishing i could be her daughter-in-law without having to anything with any of her children and it made me wonder what all that's about. why i love the families of my exes so much...why i forgive these boys their idiotness as long as they take me home for dinner every once in a while. emily gave me pirate band-aids today and they make me happy.

did you ever use to make out at red-lights and then the cars behind you would honk all crazy because your 16-year-old self got lost in the way one of his hand felt behind your neck-the other on the steering wheel and the light had turned green.

has life ever snuck up behind you, slithering on the floor, grabbing your heels, tying them together like shoelaces and it hurts but you can't scream out because you have company and you don't want to alarm them. Are you still sitting there, too embarassed to stand up and show the world?

No comments: