Friday, February 08, 2008

your fixie makes you looks fat



Fixed gears are damn sexy bikes. I feel guilty about this. I feel like the nerdy girl who agrees with all her friends that Mike Dexter is a total asshole and, god, who even CARES about football. But deep down, she has a huge crush on him and in her diary, she's written dozens of different combinations of their names with a liberal use of little cartoon hearts. I know that fixed gear bicycles are, "like totally it" right now and all that...but they're such attractive pieces of equipment. They're so thin, yet sturdy, sleek and minimal, shiny and effective. And here in the Mission people do amazing things with their fixed gears. They spend money to get little frame warmers- different color rims and handle bars. I find myself secretly coveting dozens of bikes on almost every walk I take and each one, I feel a little more for than just aesthetic satisfaction...I feel a little turned on. Usually having nothing to do with the skinny hipsters atop said bicycles. Though I do fantasize, from time to time, about having that fixed-gear-sweetie, who takes you to Tartine in the morning and Pops at night. Of course I am simultaneously disgusted with myself for such utterly cool aspirations...but sometimes, hipsterdom is a little like Starbucks coffee...you know it's goes against your morality, but damn don't those posters of machiatos look so tasty?

No comments: