Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's just a bad movie...

Recently I've been feeling catastrophe hanging around every corner I turn. I look up and expect to see wheelchaired sparrows hurling themselves to the hard concrete embrace below. Buddhist monks drawing red lines through the tender flesh of their beautiful throats. (I wonder- did they regret it at the end? Yearn to cry out "WAIT- I made a mistake!" What would have happened if that pool of life hadn't peeked from beneath the door- revealing the terrifying secret within- would that be one more friend to have disappeared or did he not cut through enough in the first place.) I expect bikers to be taken under grills, purses to be snatched, young men to be shot on the street, the golden gate bridge to let loose it's fine cables and snatch the entire city up in its claws and hold our heads under the water. I've been expecting disaster.

But today- a few days into the dry weather, I felt the beauty of people's smiles and the heat of the sun and the dry clay under my fingernails. Things didn't seem quite so menacing.

And- just so I publicly admit it: I can hardly stop listening to In Rainbows. I maintain that I still have reservations in terms of the larger scale of Radiohead albums. But, damn, it's hard to tear away from it.

And- to the world- I love you, please refrain from doing more stupid things. You've set me quite on edge.

No comments: