Sunday, March 09, 2008

"Loth to irk in Horne's hall hat holding the seeker stood"



I am officially half way through my trek through Ulysses. Perhaps trek is the wrong word for it has such negative implications. Rather, my time with Mr. Bloom and Dedalus is spent rather pleasantly. I coast through the vines of confused thought and language, bounce off of round metaphors and try not to get too tangled when the web of Joyce's trap closes around my ankles. Which is to say that I may not get most of what I'm reading but have been determined from the beginning to keep reading at any cost. Not to re-read or return to confusing passages only because that means I'll never finish! I have visions of me waste deep in beautiful cluttered sentences and every time I reach my hand out to grab one, it disintegrates in my hand and I spend the rest of my life never knowing what is being said around me. So...yeah. It's beautiful and great and all that stuff that everyone says and I'd like very much to talk with someone who's read it (after I've finished reading it) so they can tell me what I was missing.

I had a completely Troupe-less day yesterday which was BEAUTIFUL. How nice it is to not think about work for an entire day. On top of that I got to read The Fixer, by Joe Sacco (thank you Mollo), by the bay after my painting class. I napped. And then DanDan and I drank milkshakes (insert Daniel Plainview impersonation here) and went to see Iron and the Albatross and Two Foot Yard at Yerba Buena. Both are for sure must-sees. Iron and the Albatross made me want to make a movie just so their music could be in it. Two Foot Yard literally knocked my socks off with their haunting and yet somehow uplifting harmonies.

It's really awesome seeing women musicians kicking ass. I don't mean this in a ball-breaking feminist way. Only that almost all musicians are men. And I love music and I love men so that's great. But I also love women and feel that we must be missing out on something by not having them around us and our ears more often. Two Foot Yard was basically the case in point for me with regards to that idea. The two main women were an amazing force to be reckoned with. Gorgeous and deep, emotional, kind, insistent, and really fucking good musicians.

Now to enjoy more of the sunshine that we have in our day today.

No comments: