Tuesday, March 18, 2008

i want jib kidder

I miss the music scene in Ann Arbor. I miss it a lot. The WCBN shows, the Halfass shows, the Totally Awesome House, Kelly Jean Caldwell, Jib Kidder, Patrick Elkins, The Ameoba Kids, Pussy Pirates, Chris Bathgate, etc, etc.

In the midst of my musical desert island where I have only a hand full of old CDs salvaged from the tool shed in Cleveland, I want to mostly to listen to music made by people I know and whose projects I can get excited about. Remember back in the day when that friend would give you that CD of that band that you hadn't heard about yet and it totally opened up all of these possibilities and it just felt so exciting? I guess it doesn't actually have to be local artists. I felt that way the first time I heard Elliott Smith or The Shins or The Notwist. It's just that the last time I felt that excited it was about these Ann Arbor projects. There seemed to be a soul in that music that echoed the feeling of finding something in common with another person. You know? Hearing a song and being like "wow, that's exactly the way I was thinking about it!" I'm not necessarily saying that "mainstream" music is shit...I don't think that at all. But, take for example the new Modest Mouse CD. It's good and all, but does it hit you the same way their music did when you first heard The Moon and Antarctica on that road trip to Chicago? Ok...well maybe it does, but it doesn't hit me that way....I just find it kind of boring. I want to listen to something that gets me excited again.

I know it's out there it's just harder to find in San Francisco when there's so much more to choose from. In the Midwest there's really only so much to do, you know? You either stay in and drink or put on your leg warmers, face the snowstorm, and go to the Blind Pig to hear Bear Mountain Picnic. And maybe, on the other side of town there was also a Slam going on, but probably not. Here there are at least a dozen of events that you could go to in a night and unless you happen to know someone who knows Kemo Sabe or Lord Loves a Working Man, you'll probably just go to see Arcade Fire again because you missed them last month when they were here but two months ago their show totally rocked. Not that having options is a bad thing. I like options. I like them a lot. Yay options! But things seem more glam here..not as gritty and personal and exciting and I'm rambling now and not making much sense. I now take my leave.

3 comments:

kid slizzard said...

you're in luck, jib kidder is here

elfro said...

Mr. Schuster- let us plebeians know the next time you have a show!
Thanks! Liza

kid slizzard said...

there is still a dim impression left at the haight st. entrance to buena vista park of last chalk