Monday, February 04, 2008

football

The half-time shows at the super bowl always depress me. Granted, I'm usually never watching the super bowl. But there are those key moments, from year to year when I glimpse the height of American stupidity. I guess it's not even that i think football is stupid, or that people are stupid for wanting to watch sports...it's just such an amazing thing that SO MANY Americans, who can't get their act to do anything together. Who don't vote, who won't speak up against things they find deplorable- they WILL sit at home (or at a bar) and yell at rapidly moving images. Make commentary as if they, themselves, were the coaches. And then comes half-time. When Bono can open up his jacket to reveal the American Flag sewn inside while the names of 9/11 victims scroll behind him. Where Tom Petty can live off of the laurels of a hit he wrote however many years ago and dance about on a stage shaped like a guitar which he doesn't even play. It depresses me. That this is considered music. The people screaming in the audience don't care so much that it's Tom Petty just that they got to come down onto the field and maybe, if they're lucky, the camera will catch them singing along and, wouldn't that be magical. Maybe I'm being too critical, too elitist. After all, what's wrong with fame, Liza? What's wrong with "making it"? I guess nothing. But there's nothing particularly exciting about it either. Especially when it means catering to the exact companies and ideologies that seem so....disgusting to me. And putting on a half-hearted show and having it not matter because anything you do will be larger than life and people will cheer no matter what. It all feels like such a joke- such a strange compilation of facades that is supposed to convey a sense of "success" that really is just a bunch of bullshit.

Ooops- I think my coffee is done.

No comments: